You work hard everyday and you have built a good business. You want your business to grow to the next level. You decide now is the time to add a color brochure to help sell a new product or service. You didn’t build your business by being extravagant and spending money needlessly. So, of course, you are going to design the new brochure your business needs yourself! If you can save a few bucks on graphic design, then why not?
The why not is that no matter how good you are or your son-in-law is at using Microsoft Word or Publisher, the brochure you design will probably, more than likely, not look as good or be as effective as if it was designed by a professional using a professional design software.
A poorly designed and ineffective brochure will waste your money because it does not sell a product and ends up sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Sure, you save a couple hundred bucks doing it yourself, but you lose thousands of dollars in lost sales because the brochure you designed does not SELL or convince anybody to do anything except throw it in the trash.
How your marketing materials, brochures and flyers look does communicate something about your business! I am sure you want your customers to feel that your business is professional and worthy of their patronage. In many cases, one of the first impressions a customer will have of your business is the brochure you designed yourself. I am sorry if I am hurting your feelings and I don’t mean to. I only want you to be successful and somebody has to shoot it to you straight.
So look ahead a few months, there is a new customer who is comparing your business and your biggest competitor for price, service and quality of products. The brochure you designed yourself and a brochure from your biggest competitor are lying side-by-side. Does your brochure look better, worse or about the same as your biggest competitors? From my viewpoint, the only answer is that your brochure looks better AND communicates better than your competition, period.
- Does that brochure that your secretary or brother-in-law designed instill confidence in your business?
- Looking at your brochure and other marketing materials from the eye of your prospective new customers, do you feel confident about what is being promoted?
- Does your brochure create want or desire for your products or services?
- Is your brochure easy to read or is it confusing?
- Do the photos and graphics you used make sense and support the copy content?
- Does your brochure pull the reader along, creating desire or does it create a yawn?
In my career, I have seen thousands of brochures designed by do-it-yourselfers. Honestly, 85% – 90% of do-it-yourself designed brochures fall far short of looking professional. (I’m being very nice). Not to mention that these DIY brochures do not do the job of creating want. Poorly designed brochures can and will stop the growth of your business and the worse part of it is, you will probably not even know it. You will just find it more difficult to get sales and you will have boxes of brochures and promotional materials sitting gathering dust.
How can you tell if your current brochure needs some work?
- You have boxes of unused brochures sitting in a storeroom with a quarter inch dust on the box.
- You can’t remember the last time the brochure was updated, but you’re a pretty sure it was sometime after the Bush administration.
- The pictures look dated.
- Your customers do not seem that interested in your brochure.
- Your sales people and other personnel do not use your brochure when working with customers.
- If you get a slight tinge of embarrassment when you see your brochure sitting next to your competitor’s materials.
A well-designed and effective marketing brochure gets used. They do not sit in boxes. Why?
- Because the professionally designed brochure is effective.
- It sells products and services.
- It answers questions your prospects have.
- It creates desire for the product.
- It validates buying decisions.
- It communicates to the intended recipient and it sells product.
Nobody spends money to have a marketing brochure designed just to have it sit in a storeroom gathering dust. If you have some brochures or marketing materials sitting in a storeroom somewhere, I am sorry. Lets move on—one, it is not the end of the world and two, you can do something about it.
It does not cost a lot of money to have a company like Wilson Printing USA design something for you. (Also we can help you recycle your old unused brochures.)
The cold hard facts are that to survive and grow your business today you need professionally designed brochures and marketing materials. If you think you can go paperless and email a PDF to a prospect as the only means of promoting your product, you are making a huge mistake. There is nothing you can do that is more effective than putting a nice printed piece in the hands of a prospect.
Your customers see the quality of your brochure and will make evaluations about your businesses. Don’t skimp on the design part of the process. We offer specials on design and can help you save money on both the printing and the design of your marketing brochures.
©2005-2016 Mark Hale, All Rights Reserved.