Color Talks, Are You Listening?
Mark Hale ‐ November 12, 2013
Do you want to make a bold statement? How can you add punch to your printed materials? One of the simplest things you can do to add impact to any graphic design is to use color. Marketing materials printed using color get noticed and are more effective.
Depending on the type of message or meaning you wish to convey, the color combinations you choose can support, emphasize or contradict your message. Color gets attention and stimulates the senses, symbolizes abstract concepts and thoughts, expresses fantasy or wish fulfillment and produces an aesthetic or emotional response.
With the advent of full color printing, both digital printing and also offset printing, color is very affordable. Sometimes simply adding one color to a business card or service estimate will increase the impact and effectiveness of the piece. You never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression. Humans make a subconscious judgment about a person, environment or item within 60 seconds of initial viewing. Because color delivers an instant impression that is generally understood universally, color is very important in conveying a mood or idea where verbiage is not used or understood.
The power of color combinations can also be seen on many levels of marketing communication, including corporate identification and logos, signage, television ads, billboards, print media and packaging, online web sites and on point-of-purchase displays. Here is a small sampling of dominant colors and the responses they elicit:
- Red – Exciting, energizing, sexy, hot, dynamic, stimulating, provocative, aggressive, powerful
- Bright Pink – Happy, attention-getting, youthful, spirited, fun, wild
- Light Pink – Romantic, soft, sweet, tender, cute, babies
- Orange – Fun, childlike, harvest, juicy, friendly, loud
- Beige – Classic, sandy, earthy, natural, soft
- Brown – Wholesome, warm, woodsy, rustic, durable, masculine
- Purple – Royalty, powerful, expensive
- Light Blue – Calm, quiet, peaceful, cool, water, clean
- Bright Blue – Electric, vibrant, stirring, dramatic
- Bright Yellow – Enlightening, sunshine, cheerful, friendly, energy, happy
- Black – Powerful, elegant, mysterious, bold, classic, magical, nighttime
- Silver – Classic, cool, money, valuable, futuristic
- Gold – Warm, opulent, expensive, radiant, valuable, prestigious
Wilson Printing can help you add color to brochures, postcards, and product manuals; just about anything you need printed.
Mark Hale CEO
Printing And Design
- Postcard Printing
- Business Brochures
- Booklet Printing
- Signs and Banners
- Customer Thank You Cards
- Custom Pocket Folders
Yes! Contact Me About This Special
Buy 2,500 Postcards, Get 2,500 FREE!
$399 if purchased by 8/31/21