Creating a Professional Image: How To Save Money With a Custom Pocket Folder
Mark Hale ‐ December 27, 2013
Pocket presentation folders are a useful tool for many businesses. They put forth a professional image and help your business stand out from your competition. The standard size for a pocket folder is 9 x 12. Most have 2 pockets with business card slits. There are some things you should know about pocket presentation folders that could save you time and money.
I see business people who think they are saving money by going down to Office Depot and buying generic folders to put their sales materials in. They buy a generic folder then put a sticker on it they printed off on their ink jet printer. Most of the time this is more expensive than having a company like Wilson Printing design and print a custom pocket presentation folder for you. The end product is definitely more professional.
Just like business cards, letterhead or your full-color brochures, pocket presentation folders should make a statement about your business. The price for pocket presentation folders vary depending on some things: for the most part the paper used, the number of colors used in the art and the amount of ink coverage affect the cost of your pocket folder. Often a professional designer can use one or two colors along with half tones and shades to create an eye popping, cool looking pocket folder and save you money on the printing.
Cost Saving Rules of Thumb:
- Keep the design simple, use one or two colors. The idea is a professional look. Don’t clutter the design up with a lot of photos and graphics. Save the graphics for your flyers and brochures.
- Avoid if possible, heavy ink coverage as this adds to the expense.
- Use 12pt Coated Paper Stock. This is a common heavy paper that is inexpensive.
- Look ahead to future use and order accordingly. The cost per folder comes down quite a bit, the larger the quantity you order.
- Don’t put addresses or phone numbers on the folder. If you move your office the folders will be instantly outdated. You have pockets in the folder and slits to put business cards with your phone number and address on them.
- The size of a pocket presentation folders is pretty standard, 9 x 12. This gives you room to store 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper. Lawyers and Real estate agents often need legal size pocket folders. They too can be printed in one color all the way to full color.
Another cost saving alternative to pocket presentation folders is custom presentation file folders. These folders are printed with your company information and are die cut to function as a file folder. Your prospects simply can file your folder with your materials in their file cabinet. This adds an element of versatility and convenience to your materials.
The draw back to a pocket folders is that the size does not lend it to be easily filed. Most of the time the materials inside are filed separately and the pocket folder gets thrown away. Producing custom company file folders uses half the paper, which is another reason they cost less. Company file folders can cost as much as 50% less than pocket folders. This is a big benefit when you have a sales force making a lot of presentations.
Depending on the quantity and colors, custom pocket folders can cost from $.35 cents per to $2.00 per folder. The more unique the pocket folder, the more elegant, the more the cost. Pocket folders can be printed using gold foil and embossed, this gives them an extremely posh appearance. The least expensive pocket folders are one and two colors printed on 12pt coated stock.
Wilson Printing’s graphic designers can help you develop a design that complements your other materials. Ideally, our designers would design a consistent look from your business cards, letterhead and brochures to your company’s pocket folders.
Printing And Design
- Postcard Printing
- Business Brochures
- Booklet Printing
- Signs and Banners
- Customer Thank You Cards
- Custom Pocket Folders